Flowers Made With New EK Success Dimensional Punch

 

Boy, it has been a long time since I posted anything on our poor ol’ blog.  I have been busy with the embroidery business, which is such a blessing after being so slow last year. 

I want to share a couple of flowers I made with one of the new EK Success Dimensional Punches.  EK released four new punches for making flowers and I was able to find them at Joann’s.  The new punches are:  Doily Petals, Gerber Daisy, Dahlia, and Carnation.  The one I used to make these two flowers is the Doily Petals punch.  These are the first two flowers I made — I haven’t had a chance to try the other punches yet.  But after making these flowers, I am looking forward to playing with the other punches.

Before trying to make a flower, I watched a couple of videos showing how to use these new punches.  The video I watched on a blog called Tinker Planet really helped.  She showed making a flower using the directions given on the back of the punch package and then showed her method.  I made the blue flower using her method. 

I cut two strips from a scrap of 12″ K & Company paper for my petals.  I put tape at the bottom of each strip using my ATG gun, just as shown in the video.  I wrapped my two strips around a chopstick.  But instead of gluing a pearl or gem in the center of the flower, I cut another strip of petals and used just six petals from this strip.  I wrapped them tightly around a very small paint brush and then glued them in the center of my previous two strips, to hide the hole in the middle. 

As in the video, I pulled all my petals down — just like peeling a banana.  Here is a picture showing the side view of the flower.

 

The second flower is my creation.  When I was looking at the strips of petals after punching them, I was reminded of a Spellbinders flower die that I have.  The only difference is that it is a round die — so the petals are all nicely in a circle.  I wondered how I could get the petals on the strip into a circle. 

I thought maybe I could score the strip and then fold it, like making a rosette, and get it into a circle.  I put the strip on my Martha Stewart score board and started scoring a line on each petal.  I scored right next to where the petal joined the bottom strip, scoring  just once on each petal — but always scoring on the same side of each petal. 

Then I folded along each score line and folded the petal until it was almost touching the next petal.  When I got to the end of the 12″ strip, I joined the ends.  Then I punched out a 1″ circle and glued my rosette onto it.  I made two layers and glued them together.  Then I took a third circle and put in the center of the flower and added some Flower Soft around the edges. 

This flower is also cut from a scrap of K & Company paper.  I guess it looks OK — it reminds me of a sunflower.  And here is a side view so you can see the layers and dimension.

  • EK Success Doily Petals Dimensional Punch
  • K & Company paper
  • Flower Soft

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *