I made this card for the Kitchen Challenge over at Bitten by the Bug 2. Your project must be based on something you would find in a kitchen and have a Cricut cut on it. I started out with all sorts of ideas but narrowed it down to a teapot. I was laying out my design in Cricut Design Studio and thought it was looking pretty good. I decided to try making an easel card, going for a floral, frilly teapot.
Then, a couple of nights ago I was checking out one of my favorite embroidery websites, EmbLibrary.com, and happened upon a strawberry teapot. I kept looking at it and wondered if I could make something similar using my Cricut. So I started playing around in Design Studio and ended up with this card.
I used Core’dinations solid cardstock for the base of the card. All the dotted printed paper I did on my Imagine, using The Good Old Days cartridge. I am really having fun using my Imagine.
The teapot I used is from Kate’s ABCs cartridge and I welded a strawberry from Preserves over top of the teapot, so just the spout and handle were sticking out beyond the strawberry. I then welded an oval from George & Basic Shapes onto the bottom of the teapot, to form the base of my easel card. Here is a side view of the card, so you can see how it stands up.
I cut a scalloped oval and doily shape from Lacy Labels to go on my base. Through the holes of the doily shape, I threaded seam binding that I dyed using Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist. Where my seam binding met, I tied a bow. Here is a close-up of the base so you can see how I threaded the binding, and also how the three small flowers allow the card to stand up. I used Liquid Pearls to add some dots on the doily.
I also used seam binding to tie a bow around the handle of the teapot. I used Glossy Accents and Martha Stewart coarse glitter to add some sparkle to the flowers.
I made the tag using my Imagine and the Imagine More cartridge. I am very happy with how it came out — it is my first cut and print piece that I have used on a project. I changed the color on one of the layers and left off the sentiment that was on this particular tag. I then took a Studio G stamp and stamped Happy B-Day on the front and tied it up with some twine.
And here is a picture to show you what the card looks like when it is flat.
When I finished my card, I thought it would be nice if I embroidered some tea towels using the strawberry embroidery design that inspired my creation. I found a couple of blank striped towels that I thought the design would look OK on and proceeded to stitch them out. So now I have a nice gift set to give to someone.
And, finally, I want to thank the wonderfully talented Design Team at Bitten by the Bug 2 for the prize that I won in the frame challenge. My number was picked to receive the Smash Book prize — and I am so excited! Thank you everyone at Bitten by the Bug 2.
- Cricut cartridges: George & Basic Shapes, Kate’s ABCs, Lacy Labels (Lite), Preserves
- Imagine cartridges: Imagine More, The Good Old Days
- Core’dinations cardstock
- Martha Stewart coarse glitter
- Glossy Accents
- Rayon seam binding
- Liquid Pearls